This course is designed as a pre-Vocational and Work Skills learning programme providing a personalised curriculum to fit the learner’s ’Spiky’ profile.
Employability & vocational skills
This course will help learners to develop an understanding of Trade Skills (Construction) principles and practices within a workshop/built environment enabling the participant to work towards possible progression pathway (Construction Diploma).
The following units will be covered
- Workshop Health & Safety
- Understanding materials used in Construction
- Intro to Plumbing (speed fit & copper)
- Intro to Paint & Decorating
- Intro to Tiling
- Intro to Flooring
- Intro to Door Furniture Fitting
- Intro to Kitchen Planning & Fitting
In addition, all learners will be encouraged to focus on designing a Personal Project during term 2 using skills learnt in term 1. Projects could be based around their needs or ideas such as: bedside cabinet, table lamps, coffee table, book case, tiled mirror frames, etc. Learners will be able to take their projects home after successfully satisfy their L1 course requirements.
Portfolio & end-of-term learner reports.
Learners will be required to complete a portfolio of all their learning for the Certificate in Employability at L1 (ASDAN). This will be complimented with in-house end-of-term learner reports to help inform learner’s Individual learning plan (ILP).
Units covered within the Certificate in Employability:
- Planning & reviewing learning
- Introduction to working with others
- Maintaining work standards
- Health & safety in the workplace
- Applying for a job
- Exploring job opportunities
- Tackling number problems
- Communicating with others at work
Certificate in Employability L1/L2 and progression to Construction Diploma. All units are based around the Foundation Learning credit framework:
- Award L1 – 8 Credits
- Certificate L1 – 13 Credits
- Certificate L2 – 13 Credits
- Capacity: Up to 10 young people
- Age group: 13+
- Duration: 1 – 2 years
- Course awarding body – ASDAN
- Course recruitment: NAP Taster days
- Session days: To be announced
- Session times: 9.30am – 3.00pm